Frequently Asked Questions


The main difference between a public and private like anywhere else is the funding from the government. Public schools in Australia are funded by the government of the state they are in, while independent or private schools are usually owned and funded by individuals or entities, most of them being religious organisations.

Below are the general differences between the two:

Public schools:


More affordable school fees


Usually fewer modern facilities


No accommodation provided


Admission is mainly determined by the catchment area


Larger class size


Not religious

Private schools:


Higher school fees


More modern facilities


Some private schools offer accommodation, otherwise known as boarding


Admission process is slightly more complicated and has more requirements


Smaller class size


Usually include religious education

As English is the main language of instruction in most schools, except for other language courses, it is vital that you have an adequate proficiency in English in order to understand lessons. Most schools will require you to submit an English test result with satisfactory grades in order to be considered for enrolment.

If you do not meet the English requirement of the school, some of them offer English courses and programmes to help you improve so that you are able to study confidently in Australia.

The total cost of studying and living in Australia varies depending on where you are. Metropolitan areas are typically more expensive than regional areas. As a general guide, the estimated cost of living in these areas are as follow:

Sydney: starting at AUD $1,900/month

Adelaide: starting at AUD $1,300/month

Brisbane: starting at AUD $1,400/month

Melbourne: starting at AUD $1,500/month

Canberra: starting at AUD $1,400/month

The average international student in Australia spends about AUD $1,753/month (approximately AUD $404/week) on accommodation, food, clothing, entertainment, transport, international and domestic travel, telephone, and incidental costs based on the general guide below:

Groceries and eating out - AUD $80 to $280

Gas, electricity - AUD $35 to $140

Phone and Internet - AUD $20 to $55

Public transport - AUD $15 to $55

Car (after purchase) - AUD $150 to $260

Entertainment - AUD $80 to $150

The estimated cost of studies in Australia is also listed below:

Private/Independent/Catholic School - AUD $7,800 to $30,000

English language studies - Around AUD $300/week depending on course length

Vocational Education and Training (Certificates I to IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma) - AUD $4,000 to $22,000

Undergraduate Bachelor Degree - AUD $20,000 to $45,000*

Postgraduate Master’s Degree - AUD $22,000 to $50,000*

Doctoral Degree - AUD $18,000 to $42,000*

There are many accommodation options to choose from when studying in Australia. Universities and education institutes typically provide hostel or halls of residence to international students and these are usually just a stone’s throw away from campus. These are usually the most affordable and convenient option especially for new international students who needs time to adjust to the new environment.

Homestay is another option which means that students will move in with a local host family and live with them. Some homestays also talk care of student’s meals and bring their guest around the city occasionally.

You could also choose to rent your own apartment or unit if you feel comfortable with the city. Parents of pre-tertiary students can also choose to send your child to boarding schools as well.

Average prices for common accommodation options:

Homestay AUD $450 - $1,200/month
Student halls of residence AUD $440 – $1,100/month
Rent an apartment AUD $750 – $1,700/month
Share a rented apartment/house AUD $380 – $850/month

We recommend that you consult our Study Trust professionals who will be dedicated to assist you in looking for an accommodation that suits your needs and preferences.

Yes, you may accompany your child who’s studying in Australia. In fact, students 18 and below are required to be accompanied by a parent during their course of study in Australia.

The Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590) enables parents whose children are under 18, to come live with them and provide them to welfare and financial support they need. To be considered eligible for this Visa, you have to be the student's parent, custodian or relative who is 21 years or older, have enough money to support yourself and the student during your stay, and be able to provide accommodation, welfare and other support. The length of this visa is determined by the student visa holder’s (your child) stay and their age. The cost of applying for such visa is AUD $620 and applicants should expect a processing period of 5-6 months. Hence, we advise that you apply for your visa way in advance if you plan to send your child under 18 to study in Australia and if you wish to accompany him or her.

Holders of Subclass 590 are not allowed to work during your stay, not allowed to enter before the student visa holder, and not allowed to leave the country without the student without approval from the relevant authorities.

However, the Subclass 590 only applies to parents whose children are under 18 or under special circumstances. If your child is above 18, you will need to apply for the Subclass 600, which is a Visitor visa that allows one to visit family for 3,6 or 12 months. The cost of applying for this Visa is around AUD $165 and requires an estimated 44- 48 days of processing time.

To ensure a smooth and successful application, our education consultants at Study Trust will be happy to provide the assistance and guidance you need during the whole application process.

International applicants who wish to study in Australian universities should have qualifications that are equivalent to their Year 12 studies in order to be considered for admission, e.g., Cambridge A levels.

English language proficiency is also a must in order to be enrolled as it is the main teaching language. The general score to enter into a university is an IELTS score of no less than 6.0, a TOEFL score of 67 and above, PTE (Pearson Test of English) overall score of 50-57 or the equivalent qualifications. Different universities may vary in terms of specific scores and hence we encourage you to research on the requirements from the desired schools. These tests also have to be taken no more than two years prior to commencing your course.

Some courses and programmes may also require applicants to have fulfilled some sort of prior training or education before being able to enter the course, while others require a portfolio or interviews.

To find out more about the respective requirements for your desired school and programme, do check the individual school website or consult our Study Trust professional who will be able to guide you through the whole process.

As the universities may take some time to process your admission application, so does your student visa application, we recommend that you apply at least 6 months in advance so that you will have ample time to submit the necessary documents and also leave some buffer in case of any hiccups along the way.

Our Study Trust education consultants are happy to provide their expertise and experience in this area to ensure you have an efficient and successful application.

International students are permitted to work up to 40 hours every two weeks and unlimited hours on holiday breaks. You are also paid a minimum rate of pay her hour no matter what the job is. This is a good opportunity for you to expose yourself and experience more of the country whilst earning some pocket money.

Yes, Australia is relatively welcoming to international graduates who wish to continue staying in the country to work. You will need to apply for a post-study work visa (Subclass 485) which allows international students who have just graduated with a degree from an Australian institute to continue to live and work in the country, and it is usually valid for about 2-4 years depending on your qualifications.

It is important to do your research and understand more on the various topics of studying abroad before you make a decision. Read more at our education blog here.

Learn more about the different types of schools in Australia

Types of schools in Australia

Learn about how to apply to the various schools in Australia

How to apply to Australia schools